7.12.2010

♥ Meet Artist Robert Foster

I found Robert Foster's art talent on Etsy.com looking for items to complete a collection. I included him in the following Etsy Treasury. What a fun fit when you find his sweet piece "Eensy Weensy" in the context of this dark, contemplative treasury collection. See it here.



Consequently, I had to learn more about him, so I asked for an interview and he agreed. While researching for this interview I had a great time filtering through many of his pieces. He has a recognizable style, and a large body of work in a variety of moods. After you read the interview and get to know him a little, make sure to visit and browse his website found at the end. You'll enjoy meeting him as much as I did. ~ angee

Meet Artist Robert "Lew" Foster
Sierra Foothills, California

AC:
After looking through the majority of your work, I am amazed. Thank you so much for agreeing to be interviewed and share a little about yourself with our readers. Please tell us how you began your interest, or should I say, career in art.

Robert:
I studied fine art application and commercial illustration at the Academy of Art in San Francisco for four years and for the next 25 years have made a rewarding living selling my paintings and prints in galleries and showings around the country. I have won numerous awards and ribbons during that time and have shown my work in many exhibitions. I still have a one man showing that occurs in the fall here in the Sierra Foothills.

Purchase this print in Robert Foster's Etsy Shop ~ www.lewfoster.etsy.com

AC:
It's encouraging for beginning artists to learn they can earn a living from their artwork. "Eensy Weensy" from your Etsy shop, is the piece that drew me to look closer at your work. It's a very captivating painting. Do you only paint, or are there other mediums you work in as well?

Robert:
My mediums are many. I work with oil on both canvas and masonite board, some acrylic, charcoal pencil and pen and ink. I work alot in gouache opaque watercolor and in gouache watercolor with digital enhancements. Also, on occasion, adding photographic elements to some of my work. Finally I have a few pure digital art pieces that I'm quite proud of.


AC:
We all know the saying "A picture's worth a thousand words." Your work speaks volumes! There is such a comforting, dreamy style to all of your pieces. Developing your own artistic style is something that takes much practice. Did you work toward a certain style or find it had developed over the years as you continued to practice?

Robert:
I have always found that my main goal in creating art is to provide a mood that bonds with the viewer. I love the romantic side of life and a bit of the humorous as well. Many things came into play in the creative process to attain mood in my work. I found that light and shadow were essential and could be used in a very dramatic way. I tried to keep my work on the realistic side of the spectrum and let the actual scene play out for what it is.

As I matured in my art, I learned new techniques that allowed me to enhance and illustrate the meaning of mood. I find that I am doing very much what I began doing, except that I've learned new and more efficient ways to present it.

AC:
If you would, do share a tip or piece of advice you have uncovered on your artistic journey that would be an encouragement or help to those who want to pursue their creative talents.


Robert:
I believe you must first be honest enough to say whether you are totally going to paint for yourself or for others. If the joy of art can be found in personal satisfaction you will have no problems, other than the rendering of your work.

We all have an inner directors soul and it whispers to us to create this and to do it a certain way. The problem comes in when the whispered idea is difficult to retrieve, because we can't render it the way we felt it. If you are pleased with your work, there will always be others who feel the same way, even if they may be small in numbers.

If you want to paint for others and to do it for monetary gain you will need to discover what a large percentage of them want in art. It's always nice when you can negotiate a middle ground between your inner desire to create and what the public might want to purchase.



AC:
Finally... I would say you do have bragging rights. So, what was the most impressive or important honor your art career has brought you.

Robert:
I have won a few awards and have had my work shown in nice galleries, but by far the most impressive thing my love for art has brought to me is a source of income that has supported my family for many years. In the beginning, I had strong doubts it could be done. To be able to do what you want and need to do in this life and then to be paid for it is a marvelous gift.

AC:
Thank you again for sharing a little of your talent with us. Here's wishing you abundant creative inspiration, and continued success.

Robert:
You are very welcome and thank you. I appreciate you and your kind interest in my work.
.....................................................................................................................
Find more expressions of Robert Foster's art talent here:
Robert Foster Art.turnpiece.net <> Lew Foster.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment